I tried to brighten up my day by making these delicious little treats (it worked!).
Peanut Butter Surprises (from http://backtothecuttingboard.com)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar, plus more for dipping
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, blend together the powdered sugar and 3/4 cup peanut butter. Chill while making the dough.
- In another medium bowl combine flour, cocoa, and baking soda.
- In a larger bowl, beat together both sugars, butter, and 1/2 cup peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each and vanilla. Mix in flour mixture until combined.
- Line up dough, then peanut butter filling, then sheet pan (similar to an assembly line). Fill a shallow dish with sugar and grease the bottom of a glass large enough to flatten cookies.
- Take about one tablespoon of dough and using your palms, roll it into a ball and then flatten. Take about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of the peanut butter filling and place in the middle of the flattened dough. Fold the chocolate dough around the peanut butter and roll back into a ball.
- Place on cookie sheet. Dip bottom of glass into sugar and then flatten each cookie.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes. When done, they should be set and slightly cracked around the edges.